You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘cherries’ tag.
It’s no secret I’m a fan of balls. Ahem. Dessert balls people!! This is a family friendly site.
So I love balls. And I love the flavour combination of chocolate, cherry and almond. Each on their own is good but together is just heavenly. So chocolate-cherry almond balls seem perfect right?
Maybe a visual is necessary to illustrate my point…
Chocolate-Cherry Almond Balls
1 cup almonds
1/4 cup cashews
1 cup Medjool dates, pitted
1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips or a dark chocolate bars, chopped
1/3 cup dried cherries (the no sugar, no sulfite variety)
1 tsp raw cacao powder
pinch of sea salt
1. Add almonds and cashews to a food processor and process until crumbly. Careful not to over-process, this will let too much oil out of the nuts. Remove, place in a large bowl and set aside.
2. Add dates, chocolate chips, dried cherries, raw cacao powder and sea salt to food processor and process until well combined. Remove and add to bowl of nuts.
3. Using a wooden spoon or fork combine nuts with date mixture. You can use your hands too to help combine the ingredients.
4. Once all the ingredients are combined, roll into small balls and top with a whole almond and chocolate chip.
5. Refrigerate for 30-60 minutes before serving.
Makes about 18-20 small balls.
Last night was a hot one here in Toronto. The kind of night that had I not been a healthy-living vegan, I may have stopped and got a chocolate soft serve cone from one of the numerous ice cream trucks parked in my neighbourhood.
Ever wonder what’s actually used to make soft serve? The National Post wrote a story on this a few years back. Ingredients include – corn syrup, whey, calcium sulfate and more sugar then should ever be consumed by the human body.
I whipped up this delicious treat using some frozen Ontario-grown sour cherries I found at Whole Foods. Try it and I swear you’ll like it better then that crap that’s served out of a truck.
You can even eat it for breakfast. Not that I’m doing that…right now…
Chocolate-Cherry Soft Serve
1 banana, frozen or unfrozen your choice
1/2 cup frozen sour cherries
1 tbsp raw cacao powder
1/2 tbsp maple syrup
1 medjool date
1. Add all ingredients to high-powered blender or food processor
2. Blend until smooth and transfer to bowl or layer in parfait glass
3. Top with raw cacao nibs and whole cherries