Only 20 more days until Christmas!
With the holidays quickly approaching I’m sure you will be attending some fabulous holiday parties. While they are a great time with family and friends they can also be hazardous to your health…too much alcohol, sugar and fried and fatty foods do not make for a happy body or happy self.
Here are some tricks on surviving a Holiday party:
- Exercise the week leading up to said party and especially the day of – Besides looking good, you’ll feel good and will be less inclined to eat crap.
- Eat a small but fully balanced meal (include protein, come complex carbs and a bit of fat) before going to your party – If you go to the party starving there is a greater chance of you gorging on junk food.
- Don’t leave the house without a game plan – decide before you go how much you are going to drink, what your will eat etc.
- Bring something healthy and delicious – There are hundreds and thousands of healthy food bloggers out there, find one of their recipes and show your friends that healthy can be fun. Check out my festive recipe below.
- And most importantly, don’t stress about it. If you want to indulge, go for it. It’s the holidays and it’s ok to treat yourself. Just make sure that you make up for it and get back to a clean diet.
Holiday Wheat Berry Salad
1 cup cooked wheat berries
1/3 cup cranberries (or use 1/4 cup dried cranberries)
1 tbsp raisins
1 steamed or roasted sweet potato, cubed
1 apple, chopped
chopped green onion
Mix all ingredients together and top with your favourite dressing (I like a simple EVOO, apple cider vinegar and honey dressing)
Wheat berries are so versatile and this salad is really easy to modify and add to. Try adding chickpeas, wild rice or pine nuts as well. For more information on wheat berries, check our Leslie Beck’s article here.